Sunday, July 28, 2013

Lilies of the Field

July 28, 2013

Good Sunday Morning to you!!

So what are your plans for today?  Are you working today? Or are you having a fun play day? Maybe attending church, or having a family day? Or maybe you’re going to have a relaxing day at home?  Well, whatever your plans for this beautiful Sunday, I hope each of you are able to begin your day with a reviving, renewing moment of prayer and meditation to start the day off on a balanced note.  It is for certain that we all can benefit from a moment of getting in touch with our “inner” selves, which is really our spirits; that part inside of us that God designed to commune with Him. Give it a try – you might just like it J

Communing with God is on my mind this morning because, as usual, since it is Sunday, I got up thinking and worrying about what I am going to wear to church – do I go casual with jeans, or slightly more dressed up with slacks and a flowy top; or maybe that new skirt I bought, though I’m not sure what top to wear with it; do I wear comfy sandals or my pretty platform wedges?  How do I fix my hair – especially since I just got it cut, keep it straight, or try to curl it some?  I want to look cute and stylish and, well, like I matter.  Hmmm…Worry…Worry!  Ugh!  Here I go again! 


Time out! - with my rich, fragrant Caribou coffee, flavored with yummy Sugar Free Hazelnut creamer, poured into my mug which clearly says “Count Your Blessings.”   Okay.

Okay, so I retreat to my little oasis of peace and beauty (the sun room) to wake up and have a few moments of getting my heart right and thanking God for my blessings, before resuming the worry of what to wear today.

And after a few moments of my “commune with God” I flip open my Bible to receive my “Word blessing” for the day.  And of all the wise Scriptural words of advice, what do you think I opened to??  Yep, you guessed it – “The Lilies of the Field” or “The Cure for Anxiety.”  Matthew 6:25-34.

 For those of you not familiar with this passage, it actually says we shouldn't worry about what clothes we are to wear.  Yep, it does.  Here it is:

Matthew 6:25-34 (The Message)
25-26 “If you decide for God, living a life of God-worship, it follows that you don’t fuss about what’s on the table at mealtimes or whether the clothes in your closet are in fashion. There is far more to your life than the food you put in your stomach, more to your outer appearance than the clothes you hang on your body. Look at the birds, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, careless in the care of God. And you count far more to him than birds.
(Wow - God knew I was stressing over this?)
27-29 “Has anyone by fussing in front of the mirror ever gotten taller by so much as an inch? All this time and money wasted on fashion—do you think it makes that much difference? Instead of looking at the fashions, walk out into the fields and look at the wildflowers. They never primp or shop, but have you ever seen color and design quite like it? The ten best-dressed men and women in the country look shabby alongside them.
(Well...yes, the flowers are definitely beautiful!)
30-33 “If God gives such attention to the appearance 
of wildflowers—most of which are never even seen—don’t you think he’ll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you? What I’m trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God’s giving
(Ohhhh - yes, I am guilty of wanting to get)
People who don’t know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don’t worry about missing out. You’ll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.
(Yikes - this was exactly what I was doing - fussing over those things)
34 “Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don’t get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.
Hmmmmm....


Wow.  That was spoken right to me, wasn’t it? This morning, as I sat here in my oasis, looking out at all the beautiful trees and flowers, thanking God for providing this for me, I realized that as I took in all this lovely sight, I could see God in it – because this is all God’s creation, and He is in it.  And I feel comforted; all will be ok, because God is near.  He is here with me.  Surrounding me, enveloping me with His presence, with His beauty.  I am communing with God.  I am in tune with God.  And I thank Him.  I count my blessings.  And then I turn to His Word.  And through His Word, He speaks to me.  Directly! And without a doubt, it is Him.  Directing me.  Assuring me.  Comforting me.  Answering me.  Wow!  I am refreshed, I am renewed, and I am revived!  Hallelujah – God is alive!  And His presence is within me! 



So what I learned (again) this morning is that when I put my thoughts – my mind – on God, when I choose to see God in all the things around me, when I choose to “commune with God,” I find Him, and He communes with me. 


And further, this Passage He led me to and spoke to me through, says that when I “commune with God” or give my entire attention to God and what He is doing right now, and not worry - that God will help me deal with anything that comes up in my life.  And that He will provide all my basic needs for me.  If I just keep in tune with Him and set my mind on what is important to Him, and not on my own wants, He will be with me and help me and provide for me. 


Yay!  I like that.  A personal message from God.  How about you?  That spells relief to me, and gives me a smile in my spirit to start my day.  Now, I’m off to get ready for church. 

Did you have your “commune with God” time today?  See what bright message He has for you.

Great gobs of blessings and love to you,

Mindy
 

No comments:

Post a Comment